The COVID-19 pandemic has led to several global changes in office organisation. What seemed surreal in the past has now become our everyday reality, and white-collar employees no longer have to be always physically present at work since many of their duties can be performed remotely. Although some companies have chosen a 100% remote work organisation model, many businesses opt for hybrid work. What are its main advantages, and what difficulties can arise from the hybrid model?
Workspace transformation into the hybrid model
The hybrid working model isn’t just a simple system in which some employees work from home and others are present in the office. It’s a revolution that alters the entire office and its organisation, and it requires a special plan. Having an efficient and productive hybrid work environment is a great challenge, and its introduction is not always as easy as it may seem to be. Despite omnipresent technological advancements for remote work management, many entrepreneurs still don’t know how to encourage employees to keep their performance at the highest level when at home and what to do to make it easier for them to get used to working from outside the office.
The biggest challenges of the hybrid environment
A well-organised hybrid office can bring several benefits to the company. Impressive cost savings are some of the biggest advantages. Companies in which only a percentage of employees are present onsite at a given time need less office space and fewer individual parking spaces. This can significantly reduce the company’s operational costs, such as rental, utility, and cleaning costs.
However, the reality is not always that simple. Many companies which shifted to hybrid work are not entirely prepared for this new model of office work organisation. As a result, the performance and productivity in their offices have dropped significantly.
How to successfully implement the hybrid workspace?
Each and every employee has their own preferences when it comes to working. While some employees prefer to spend the entire day in the office, others may feel more productive when working from home. The key to implementing the hybrid workspace is to find a balance that enables all employees to feel at ease no matter where they work.
Here are some tips that will help you make the best of a hybrid workspace:
- Foster collaboration. Introduce software that makes it easier for your staff to communicate, e.g. apps for chatting or video calls.
- Provide all the necessary tools. Your employees should be able to carry out their tasks regardless of whether they are in the office or not. Invest in work management tools so that they always know what they are expected to do.
- Value feedback. Ask from time to time what your employees think about their work organisation. This will help you adjust your company to their needs.
- Offer options. Allow your staff to choose whether they want to work from home or not. Let people change their preferences so that they can find their happy medium.
- Rearrange your office. Don’t focus only on people who work from home. As fewer employees are expected to work onsite, redesign your office so it is more employee-friendly. Introduce a desk booking app for easy desk management.
- Don’t over-supervise. The introduction of the hybrid workspace requires a mindset change. Don’t over-control employees who prefer working from home, as it can be discouraging. Instead, observe their work and try to motivate them. Use suitable desk reservation software if you want to keep an attendance list.
Introducing the desk booking application can be helpful if you care about your employees’ well-being in the office. Want to learn more about this solution? Get the free trial account and test Deski – our innovative solution for desk reservation.
Choose a desk-booking app with a simple, yet powerful interface. We can help you find an optimal configuration for your office. Booking a desk should be nothing but a single click! Get familiar with Deski – a desktop and mobile web app with real-time reservations. Set your own reservation rules and separate office space – it’s all up to you! If you have any questions about our hot-desking solution, let us know!